Current Affairs 11th May
Daily Current Affairs: Manipur Job Station current affairs include all topics around the world. Our current affairs have been set up to let you practice and revise your knowledge and prepare yourself for various upcoming competitive exams.
1. Which nation has successfully isolated coronavirus antibody in breakthrough development?
2. Indian American Ashok Michael Pinto has been nominated as the US representative to which among the following institutions?
3. The 2021 Commonwealth Youth Games have been postponed to which year?
4. According to the Global Report on Food Crisis 2020, how many people are living under food crisis currently?
5. Which country was the hardest-hit by food crisis in 2019, as per Global Report on Food Crisis, 2020?
6. Which organisation has developed Ultra Violet Disinfection Tower ‘UV Blaster’ for chemical free and rapid disinfection?
7. When is the last date for filing of nominations for national sports awards 2020?
8. The US plans to borrow how much amount for second quarter to deal with coronavirus pandemic?
a)USD 2.9 trillion
b)USD 2 trillion
c)USD 3.5 trillion
d)USD 1.7 trillion
9. Who was recently awarded the commemorative World War II medal by Russia?
b)Kim Jong Un
10.Karnataka has announced new relief package for flower growers, weavers, barbers, auto and taxi drivers? How much amount has been allocated for the package?
a)Rs 1700 crore
b)Rs 1610 crore
c)Rs 1590 crore
d)Rs 1340 crore
Answers (with explanation)
Israel has successfully isolated a key coronavirus antibody at its main biological research laboratory in a breakthrough development. The “monoclonal neutralising antibody” was developed by the Israel Institute for Biological Research (IIBR). It can reportedly neutralise the COVID-19 virus inside the carriers’ bodies.
Indian American Ashok Michael Pinto has been nominated as the US representative to the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD). Pinto has been nominated as the US Alternate Executive Director of IBRD for two years.
The 2021 Commonwealth Youth Games have been postponed to 2023 due to clash of dates with the Tokyo Olympics. The Tokyo Olympics, which were earlier scheduled to be held from July 23 to August 8, 2020, have been postponed to July-August 2021 due to COVID-19 outbreak.
4.(c) 135 milllion
Over 135 million people are living under food crisis, as the the Global Report on Food Crisis, 2020 that was released in April 2020 by the Global Network against Food Crisis.
According to Global Report on Food Crisis, 2020, Yemen was the hardest-hit nation in 2019 with 15.9 million people under food crisis, which is almost 53 percent of its population.
The Defence Research and Development Organization has developed Ultra Violet Disinfection Tower ‘UV Blaster’ for chemical free and rapid disinfection. The development is expected to be highly helpful in the high infection prone areas.
7.(b) June 3rd
The Sports Ministry of May 5,2020 invited nominations for this year’s national sports awards through e-mail in the wake of coronavirus pandemic. The last date of filing nominations is June 3. The process of nominations, which usually begins in April, was delayed due to the lockdown.
8.(a) USD 2.9 trillion
The United States plans to borrow a record USD 2.9 trillion during the April-June quarter to deal with the coronavirus pandemic that has deeply impacted the world’s largest economy.
9.(b) Kim Jong Un
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was awarded the commemorative World War II medal by Russian President Vladimir Putin. Kim Jong Un was honoured with the medal for preserving the memories of Soviet Union soldiers who died in North Korean territory during the war.
10.(b) Rs 1610 crore
The Karnataka government has announced a new relief package worth Rs 1610 crore for all those in distress due to the national lockdown such as farmers, flower-growers, construction workers, weavers, auto and taxi drivers.